- Our stay at Polwatte House was absolutely amazing. Ailsa welcomed us warmly & the house felt like our own. Polwatte House is beautifully built & decorated & our bedroom was well kept as well. Both Ailsa & Andrew are fantastic & interesting people & we enjoyed conversing with them. Thank you Ailsa & Andrew for the wonderful experience & hospitality.
- TANVI & DARSHAN - INDIA (MARCH 2016)
- My boyfriend came here with me. That's the most lovely, beautiful place we have ever seen. Ailsa is so sweet to let us feel like home here, always heard that "Do you like tea?" , That's super considerate. Fara & Isla are so cute. When we were sitting at the gate and having tea, Isla came to us and told she cut her fringe by herself. Fara said she likes Anna. We hope we will come here again next year. Thank you so much Ailsa.
- PAMELA - CHINA (MARCH 2016)
- I had an absolutely amazing time staying at Polwatte house. After traveling for a few days, it was very nice to spend some time with the family. Really enjoyed my conversations with Ailsa and Rehan and the girls were cute. Thank you again for having me at your house and for making me feel so welcome. I will definitely stay again if I am ever in the area and will definitely recommend the place to friends and family.
- RAMESH - UK (MARCH 2016)
- We arrived at Polwatte house on the 22nd of March. The house and the bedroom are very welcoming and absolutely beautiful. We were made to feel like part of the family and our two young girls got on really well with Fara and Isla. Thank you so much for having us. Ricky and Rasu made the most fantastic food and tea. We loved our time at Polwatte House!
- ROSE, JAMES, RAPHY & LULU - ENGLAND (MARCH 2016)
- Thank you for having us for these three days. We have felt welcome and enjoyed your company for the stay. You have a beautiful home and family and we feel lucky to have experienced it. We wish you the best of luck in the future. Best regards.
- TRINE, LINE, MANA, METTE, RUNE & MICHALA - ADVENTUREDK (MARCH 2016)
- Very nice and kind family!
- L. YAN - CHINA (MARCH 2016)
- Thank you for letting us stay in your home and making us feel apart of your family while we were here. We very much enjoyed our stay and think you have a wonderful home and love its location next to the water way. Thanks for the good food snd help while checking out the Kandy area.
- GEORGE & GENELYN - USA & PHILIPPINES (MARCH 2016)
- Thanks for the lovely week at your house. You have been very kind, helpful and open. We have felt very welcome. We think we have got a great imression of Sri Lankan family life. We feel lucky that we had this chance to stay in this lovely house with the beautiful garden. Thanks for everything!Thanks for the lovely week at your house. You have been very kind, helpful and open. We have felt very welcome. We think we have got a great imression of Sri Lankan family life. We feel lucky that we had this chance to stay in this lovely house with the beautiful garden. Thanks for everything!
SIMONE, EA, RIKKE, REBEKKA, CHRISTIAN & SIMON - ADVENTUREDK (MARCH 2016)
- It was a very nice time to stay three nights in your home. Kids liked too and were happy to have friends.
- NICOLAS, MORGANE, LOVERN & KLERVI - FRANCE (FEBRUARY 2016)
Thank you for looking after us so well. We have felt part of the family.
MERIYN & CHRISTINA - ENGLAND (FEBRUARY 2016)
- "Welcome to Amezing little place in forest."
- STELLA - NETHERLAND (FEBRUARY 2016)
- Thank you so much for your warmth and hospitality and letting us stay at your lovely home. It was wonderful getting to know your delightful family and to eat home cooked food and explore the estate. It felt like we were staying with family and I can think of no lighter compliment. You have been a big part of what has and is making Sri Lanka a beautiful experience for us. Good luck with the renovations and can't wait to come back and see how they look.
- ELAINE & STUART - SINGAPORE (FEBRUARY 2016)
- Thank you so much for a beautiful time at your lovely home. Very relaxing and enjoyable. I loved listening to Andrew's dad's stories of the film days and our discussion with Andrew and his friend at the dinner table. Sorry I forgot his name. Ailsa thank you for your warm and lovely welcome. We'll be back. Regards.
- OSCAR & KELAART - AUSTRALIA (FEBRUARY 2016)
- Thanks for hosting us. We really enjoyed our short stay at this beautiful house - "Place along the river". Looking forward to coming back here again. Thanks with best wishes to all. Until the next time.
- KIM GUAN - AUSTRALIA (FEBRUARY 2016)
- We have really enjoyed our fantastic stay at the wonderful Polwatte House. There were never any complications and you have a very different experience in a very positive way. The food was great and it was fun to eat with people all over the world.
- MICHELLE, CAROLINE, MATHILDE, TORBEN, EMIL, SARAH - ADVENTUREDK (FEBRUARY 2016)
Our stay in Polwatte House was amazing! Ailsa and Andrew are so nice and always ready with tips to help you do cool stuff! The food was really nice as well. We have enjoyed our three days stay and we would recommend this place to everyone. Also the kids are so adorable. It's such a nice place away from the busy roads. We could have been here for a longer time. I also thank Andrew for the lessons of life and religion. You must write a book!
STIJN & MARIEKE - BELGIUM (FEBRUARY 2016)
- We have had a wonderful stay at Polwatte house. We so enjoyed the peace, beautiful surroundings and wonderful hospitality that it is difficult to leave! Thanks so much Ailsa, Andrew, Fara & Isla for sharing your home with us and thanks also to your staff for looking after us so well. Polwatte House is a great base to explore the surrounding area and a tranquil balance to the hustle and bustle of Kandy. We also enjoyed the interesting conversations, our trips out and of course, riding the enduro motorcycle. We are looking forward to seeing the new rooms on the website when they are ready and we will recommend our friends to stay here. Good luck with all your plans and don't forget to look us up if you visit Scotland. Very best wishes!
BRUCE & KAREN - UK (FEBRUARY 2016)
- Thank you very much for the lovely stay we had in your home. Next time we will definitely stop by. So curious how your new rooms will look like. Thank you for the ride with your cross bike. Enjoyed it very much. See you soon.
YVES & VANESSA - GERMANY (FEBRUARY 2016)
Thank you very much for letting us stay in your beautiful home. We realy enjoyed being here. Even though we didn't get to spend much time with you it has been so nice. If we visit Sri Lanka again we will definitely stop by.
MATHIAS, CAMILLA, ANNA, MIE, MATHILDE, KAROLINE - ADVENTUREDK (FEBRUARY 2016)
- Thank you so much for your hospitality. What a nice place with a warm and friendly atmosphere. Thanks to Rasu for the cooking lesson. We wish you the best!
NANNA, NICOLAI, CHRISTINA, JULIA, ANN, CAROLINE - ADVENTUREDK (FEBRUARY 2016)
Campbell and I are sad that our plans only allowed us one night at Polwatte House. We are so thankful for your hospitality to us during our stay. We are very excited to see how the construction of the property unfolds. And we will be sure to send friends here if they visit Sri Lanka.
We hope to return someday and look forward to a dip in the pool and a hot pizza from the pizza oven.
KATHRYN & CAMPBELL - USA (JANUARY 2016)
A short passage in a beautiful place, home and nice persons. Thanks for your hospitality.
DELPHINE - FRANCE (SEPTEMBER 2015)
We have never felt as welcome in a foreign country as we did with you! Thank you so much for a wonderful experience :) Words cannot express how much we appreciated the help and all the tips you have provided us. We can now say we have a second home in Sri Lanka.
Wish you all the best, and our door will always be open if you come to Denmark or Norway.
STINE & MICHAEL - DENMARK & NORWAY (AUGUST 2015)
We really had a wonderfull stay at Polwatte House in Kandy. It is a beautiful location (the view is amazing) just outside Kandy but Tuktuk or driver can be arranged.
We loved the hospitality of Ailsa and Andrew, nothing is too much and you just feel like home. For a small price you can even have dinner or lunch with them and the ladies from the kitchen are really good cooks! Thanks for the lovely 4 days we had in your little paradise!
BRIGETTE - HOLLAND (AUGUST 2015)
Although it is away from the center of Kandy, it worths staying here, this nice house its located in a beautiful and very quite place and the owners are charming and very helpful (they can arrange transfers for you, propose you itineraries, etc).
SPAIN (AUGUST 2015)
Ailsa and Andrew are very both very friendly and welcoming. There lovely two children are also welcoming and certainly interested in new people. The house is located by a river outside of Kandy town, in a quiet location. The room and bathroom are more than adequate We very much enjoyed meeting these people, it was a memorable time. Thank you.
BANKOK, THAILAND (JULY 2015)
"HOME AWAY FROM HOME"
Room with shower very cosy. The family helped us in the organisation of the rest of the trip. You feel very welcome as soon as you arrive. We had our privacy at the same time. The house is amazingly gorgeous. Fantastic garden. Perfect stop to rest, write, appreciate life. The food is very good. What I liked most is that you're not considered only as tourists, but human beings who share talk and experience.
Thanks to Andrew, Ailsa, Fara and Isla and the staff.
NADIA - REUNION ISLAND (JULY 2015)
"OLD COLONIAL BEAUTY"
What a beautiful family and amazing experience! Ailsa is such a kind host. The communication in the lead up to our stay was smooth and easy. Upon arrival her daughters made sure we had a detailed tour of the massive residence that is truly spectacular, filled with fruit trees and situated next to a river with picturesque landscapes. We also managed to have a yoga session at sunset and it could not have been more perfect. Ailsa organised transports to town and also to our next point of stay. Food was also magnificent with home cooked meals from Usha and Nisha. I only have good things to say about this trip. Thank you Ailsa for making us feel so at home in Sri Lanka.
HIEP - MELBOURNE, AUSTRALIA (JULY 2015)
"GORGEOUS RIVERSIDE OLD COLNIAL HOUSE"
Polwatte House was recommended to us by a friend and having not been to Kandy before, we could not have had a lovelier introduction to the city. We arrived to Polwatte, having had a Tuk organised from the railway station by Ailsa, to a yummy supper all ready for us. Woke up to the beautiful setting of the guesthouse along the river Mahaweli and had an action packed day - Botanical Gardens followed by a fantastic tour of the Knuckles. Sadly we were limited to two nights at Polwatte due to our schedule but definitely hope to go back!
JOHN - LONDON, ENGLAND (MAY 2015)
"OLD COLONIAL BOUTIQUE CHARM"
Karen Blixen eat your heart out! Polwatte House is a gorgeous old British army house that is slowly being restored by Alisa and Andrew with a view to die for. The river view, big lawns, shady trees and cool big verandas make this the perfect place to relax and escape Kandys craziness. Beautiful and delicious simple food, gluten free easily catered for, afternoons spent having cups of tea watching the monsoon rains and log chats with Andrew were among the highlights. We hope to come again and visit soon.
MIKE - ALICE SPRINGS, AUSTRALIA (MAY 2015)
"LOVELY GUESTHOUSE AT HIDDEN PLACE"
Ailsa is such a great and very helpful host, we were late as always and she held a home-made dinner for us. Unfortunately, we organized our roadtrip according to google maps which is not compatible with sri lankan traffic at all, so we were not able to spend more time at this lovely and kinda hidden place surrounded by gorgeous lake. Anyway, if you ever travel around Kandy this is must stay place at ;)
MITCH - OLOMOUC, CZECH REPUBLIC (MARCH 2015)
"REALLY LOVELY GUESTHOUSE"
We were supposed to stay here 3 nights, but we liked it so much that we booked another night. The guestfamily is really hospitable and are very willing to help you with your trip. They also tipped us about some lovely properties where we stayed later during our trip. it's not in Kandy center, but we loved the quiet and peacefulnes.
COUPLE FROM THE NETHERLANDS, EUROPE (OCT 2014)
Alisa and Andrew are amazing hosts in a charming cottage overlooking a lovely green space and river with luxurious green hills as a background. Simply marvelous, we would love to visit with them again in the future. It is a little hard to find and you would be advised to have a car and driver. We toured Sri Lanka in this manner and it was really easy to get to all the sites we wanted to visit. Kandy festival was crazy fun but it was so nice to be away from the hustle and traffic of Kandy staying in what felt like a timeless location.
NEIL - WASHINGTON, USA (SEPT 2014)
"A GREAT INTRODUCTION TO SRI LANKA"
Andrew and Ailsa arranged a driver to pick us up from the airport and drive us to their place. They had a meal and a beer waiting for us. Polwatte house is in a peaceful location away from the madness of Kandy. It was like staying with friends in a relaxed family home.
JU JU - PERTH, AUSTRALIA (SEPT 2014)
"BEAUTIFUL - A MUST STAY!"
Beautiful, helpful and extremely welcoming family with a beautiful home. It's a bit out if the way, down a Long, windy dirt track, but once you are there, it is definitely worth it. I highly reccommend Polwatte House, and would happily visit again next time we are in Kandy!
TIA (JULY 2014)
We had such a lovely stay at Polwatte House ! Even 3 months after I can easily remember the serenity and beauty of this place. Our kids felt like at home and food was delicious !
Thank you Ailsa and Andrew. I wish you good luck for your future projects !
FAMILY FROM GENEVA (APRIL 2014)
"LOVELY RETREAT OFF THE BEATEN PATH"
Ailsa and Andrew are wonderful hosts. Their home is not very near Kandy town itself, so you will need transport to get into town. However, having seen the madness of Kandy, we were pretty happy to be staying away from it. And the view at Polwatte is just breathtaking!
Stay here if you enjoy being somewhere off the beaten path where you are most likely to meet some interesting and colorful characters who frequent the house. It's the kind of place where you leave feeling like you've made some new friends and got a glimpse of the real Sri Lanka :-)
KATRINA, MALAYSIA (MARCH 2014)
We have travelled to many countries over the years and this lovely place stands out above all. We weren't at a "bed and breakfast", we were invited into a home for fellowship and food. Aiilsa and Andrew and their friendly little kids and great staff made our three days there fantastic. The rooms were comfortable, the setting relaxed, the unobtrusive music was spellbinding, The food was very good. Our hosts invited us on a picnic with their friends and we hiked to a water fall and swam. Ailsa and Andrew gave us really good advice about things to do and see as well. Just can't say enough good things.
SASKATOON, CANADA (MARCH 2014)
"BEAUTIFUL TRANQUIL STAY ON THE OUTSKIRTS OF KANDY"
We LOVED staying at Polwatte House. The house is a beautiful colonial pad hidden away from the noise and pollution of central Kandy. The atmosphere of this family home is very friendly, open and relaxed. The rice & curry cooked by their housekeeper is amazing, a must eat! Both Ailsa and Andrew are able to offer suggestions and advice for traveling in Sri Lanka, what to see and where to go.
HELEN, DUBAI (NOV 2013)
So lovely family with a big smile everyday. In this way we can discover Kandy with peaceful happiness. A big thank you to a very warm welcome from this lovely family. They allow you to discover Kandy with calm and serenity. And the meals are excellent.
SOPHIE, FRANCE (JULY 2013)
You step in and you suddenly feel like you are at home! Thanks for everything!
BEPPE, SWITZERLAND (FEB 2013)
We have had an incredible enjoyable stay at Polwatte House with Ailsa and Andrew. It is the perfect location to relax and chill out away from traffic of the city. We have very much enjoyed their company, their hospitality and interesting evening conversations...
ILARIA, SWITZERLAND (FEB 2013)